Saturday 13 July 2013

Kogin and Sashiko

I have finished my July page for the NMMSAL and it is now sewn into the book.  
Kogin is Japanese darning and provides a beautifully neat reverse side as well but of course I had to stitch it in before I photographed it ;-)  You will have to take my word for that.

And a close up.   I stitched this piece on a scrap of beige Binca fabric bought in Japan over 20 years ago and used navy sashiko thread also from Japan.  
The Sashiko piece is stitched and prepped for me to quilt this.   I intend to trace concentric circles on this and quilt lightly- hopefully emulating a piece of work I saw on the internet some time ago.   Quilting and I have an unhappy relationship so this plan may not work -  we shall see.
And tonight I pulled together a few bits and pieces from stash for yet another Christmas Ornament. 
I am truly joyful to use up bits and pieces!   And tonight while I watch New Tricks and my favourite Amanda Redman I will be plying the "needles without eyes" for a new summer sweater.   It is cold and mid-winter here but I can dream can't I?

8 comments:

cucki said...

Sweet July page and pretty stitching x

Pamela said...

I haven't tried Kogin, but seeing yours makes me want to learn. The Sashiko is so nice and even. I'm too like to use up bits and pieces!

JudyC said...

Love Japanese Kogin too and would love to try more patterns. Nice Sashiko! judy

Bonnie said...

I never heard of Kogin before. I like it! After seeing your beautiful work I think I might like to give that technique a try.

Karen said...

Love your July page. I look forward to seeing the Sashiko piece finished. It really is great to use up scraps from your stash. :)

kimstitch3 said...

Love coming and checking out your blog. I hope you are doing well.Kimberly

KimM said...

Beautiful!!

Karoline said...

Your July page is gorgeous and the sashkio is lovely. Somewhere in my stash I have a small sashkio kit I must dig it out & give it a try